As an academic institution the goal of Arewa House Archives is to provide institutional continuity and sustainable documentation – on Northern Nigeria. It is primarily concerned with procuring, preserving, analyzing and discussing issues of national and international interest, particularly as they affect the development of Northern Nigeria.
A few of the records it holds are:
- Records of the Premiers Office 1959-1966
- Colonial Records of the Secretariat Northern Provinces 1900-1957
- Legislative debates of defunct Assemblies/House of Chiefs 1948-1966
- Legislative proceedings, policy papers, speeches and addresses 1948-1966
- Gazettes of Federal and Regional Governments 1900-1967
- Reports of Committees of Enquiry, audit and final reports 1900–
- Local daily newspapers, including “Gaskiya Tafi Kwabo” which is the first News Paper in Northern Nigeria published in Hausa Language during world war II, 1939– and which was recently digitized and published in EAP web page.
- Transcripts of the news broadcast of the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation 1959-1966